Even though people are becoming educated about the harmful effects of the sun many still don't understand what is a safe level of exposure.
For most of us the sun's rays make us feel good and in today's society having a tan makes people think you look healthy. The real truth is a tan is a form of skin damage, you don't have to get sunburn to put your self at risk of developing skin cancer.
Some Scary Facts:
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 3.5 million cases in two million people are diagnosed annually.
- Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of cancers of the breast, prostate, lung and colon.
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- The number of women under age 40 diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma has more than doubled in the last 30 years.
- The majority of people diagnosed with melanoma are white men over age 50.
Sun Protection is the key
If unsure about what is the best protection for you and your family. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are the only real sun blocks and are 100% natural. They are far superior to any chemical sunblock at these minerals are stable whilst exposed to sunlight (you would think this would be the case with all sun protection)!
Avoid Tanning Beds
- First exposure to tanning beds in youth increases melanoma risk by 75 percent.
- People who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma.
- Frequent tanners may receive as much as 12 times the annual UVA dose compared to the dose they receive from sun exposure.
- Over Seventy percent of tanning salon users are girls and women aged 16-29.
Do you now think that a tan is really that great? There are many great products on the market that can protect your skin form the harmful rays of the sun.