Application is fully Unicode-compatible and can be integrated into Windows Explorer's context menu, so there is no problem to call it from anywhere in Explorer: right-click a file and select the "Universal Viewer" item. It can also be integrated into other popular file managers.
Universal Viewer is an advanced file viewer which supports a wide range of file formats:
* Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: any files, of unlimited size (even 4Gb+ sizes are allowed)
* RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts
* Image: all general graphics formats: BMP JPG GIF PNG TGA TIFF... plus all formats supported by IrfanView/XnView external viewers
* Multimedia: all formats supported by MS Windows Media Player: AVI MPG WMV MP3...
* Internet: all formats supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML PDF XML MHT...
* Plugins: all formats supported by Total Commander Lister plugins
* MS Office: all file types of MS Office (if installed): DOC DOCX XLS PPT...
* Converters: some types can be viewed as plain text: DOC DOCX PDF PPT ODT...
For those developers who would like to implement similar viewer in their applications, free Delphi component is available at author´s homepage.
Generally, Universal Viewer is an application similar to Total Commander Lister. But, comparing to Lister, it has some major advantages:
* Built-in functions of several plugins: images, multimedia, webpages view
* Support for multiple codepages: ANSI, OEM, EBCDIC, ISO etc.
* Support for text converters for DOC, DOCX, ODT, PDF etc.
* Support for user tools
* Toolbar, status bar, other interface improvements
* Auto-reloading of file on changing, "Follow tail" option
* Displaying of line numbers
* Displaying of non-printable characters
* Combined Unicode/Hex mode (call Unicode mode twice)
* Modern RegEx search library
* Print preview
* EXIF viewer
In the Lister plugins section you will find the list of rather good Lister plugins to use in conjunction with UV. These plugins are developed by 3rd parties and are not included into UV installation.
License: The main application is freeware. The add-on "Navigation Panel" is shareware (requires registration).
What's New in version 5.3.0:
* Added: Text encodings: Japanese, CHS, CHT, Korean.
* Added: cmd "File -- Create link".
* Added: option "Text -- Don't confirm 'Find next' options".
* Plugin: Syn 2.1.
* Removed: hidden option SearchNoCfm.